Thursday, April 11, 2013

The lucky ones


This color is rare in my garden, so even though it was obscured by some other plants, it caught my eye and pulled me over from the back door. Is that a tulip?? I planted some 'Little Princess' tulips a couple of years ago but only a few bloomed, and those that did were eaten by deer fairly quickly.

Have you grown species tulips (or tried to)? They are beautifully delicate and small, and are available in several colors. Many are less than 6" tall. Completely irresistible, I think. The color of 'Little Princess' is unbeatable, soft but bright at the same time. I like the yellow stripe on the back of the petals, and how the inside petals are black at the base—so appealing.



I didn't see any of these at all last year, so I gave up on them. But, what do you know? Somehow deer, and rabbits, voles, mice, chipmunks, raccoons and whatever else might be out there, missed a couple. Finding them today was a little hug from the universe at the end of a not so great day.