Saturday, April 6, 2013

Spring Break 2013


After the coldest Spring Break I can remember, it was a relief to get home to the beautiful weather we have today. I took the picture above during the best day we had at Ocean Isle Beach, but if you look at the water in the canal, you can tell the wind was blowing. From the north. Hard. It was decidedly unpleasant to someone who likes 85 degrees best of all. That would be me.



I did learn something, though: teenage girls are good at mind over matter. My daughter and three of her friends were out lying in the sun, getting sunburned, wearing shorts and flip-flops, and generally pretending it was summer, even when it never topped 55 degrees. Mostly I stayed inside and looked out the window at the palm trees.


Anyway, I am kind of fascinated with the neighbors' palm trees. Their proximity to our deck gives me a treetop view, and the sound they make as the wind blows through them is so pleasant. And we didn't even have to plant them! How nice when that happens. Sometimes your neighbor plants 5000 forsythia shrubs and shears them into balls instead. That's not as good.



As it happened, I scored a ride home by myself yesterday, and so I stopped at the Lumber River in Fair Bluff. Last time I was there, it was fall. I drove right through yesterday, but then couldn't resist the gorgeous color in the trees this time of year, so I turned around and went back.


This is the boardwalk alongside the river. Hornbeam, red maple, black gum, sycamore, water oak and cypress fill the blackwater swamp forest here.


The big leaf out happens in a surprising rainbow of pastel color. Some are pinky-red, some are pale orange and peachy, others are barely green at all, appearing almost yellow.


The picture above gives you a better idea of what the light was actually like there. I love the washed out look of the tree branches with their delicate new growth.



Occasional bits of Spanish moss show up at the edge of the river, and there is plenty of mistletoe. It's always peaceful and beautiful and well worth slowing down the trip back home.



But things are greening up and lovely at home in Charlotte, too, and there are lots of new blooms. I was happy that neither deer nor rabbit has found this patch of woodland phlox.

~*~