Friday, April 12, 2013

My patio is blooming!



This is what the patio looked like last night before the rain started. This morning it is mostly green, but at least refreshed—and free of the yellow dust that has covered everything for days. The purple (blue?) flowers are Mazus reptans. Bottom left is a quickly growing clump of clover that used to be very dark colored, almost black (Trifolium repans 'Pentaphyllum'). It seems to have completely reverted to green. I'm not sure I want it there anymore.


Up against the wall, Sedum 'Angelina' mingles with the mazus. I like the difference in textures—makes you want to touch—and the extra color. Further down along the wall, is a surprise spot of pink.


It was too sunny when I took this picture, but I wanted to show you anyway. (Just imagine how pretty it really is!) The pink oxalis was here when we first moved in 20 years ago. It's a plant that I'm sure I could spend the rest of my life trying to eradicate. We do try to keep it under control, but it has tiny bulbils that remain in the dirt no matter what you do to get rid of them! Though I wouldn't recommend planting it, when I saw some pop up in the veronica ('Waterperry Blue') and mazus, it was easy to understand how someone thought it was a good idea so long ago. It is charming, isn't it?

Any garden plans this weekend? The weather should be beautiful!

~*~

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I have a stone patio like this and I am looking for something to plant between the stone. This inspires me to do it this spring! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, Kevin. Mazus is so pretty when it blooms, and you can get a white variety if you want. Patios are a good place for it because you can keep an eye on it and not let it spread too far beyond...otherwise it can take over your yard. Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  2. What beautiful courtyard. The blue tones between the tiles give a really spring air. Mine this spring has been filled with daisies and violets from seed falls the previous year. A hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angel, violets and daisies look beautiful together! I let my violets reseed and this year a light purple one showed up with all the dark purples. I was so excited to see it! Stray seeds seem to love my patio...I've had lots of interesting things pop up in there. Parsley and basil showed up last year. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  3. That's really beautiful, especially the first photograph of the patio. I would be afraid to walk there and risk stepping on the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RPS, it's perfectly fine to walk on them...they are very resilient. Still, I don't like to step on them either and usually step over.

      Delete
  4. Your Mazus is gorgeous!! The grout lines have filled in beautifully. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! This is when it is prettiest. It gets a little crispy where it overlaps the stones later in the summer, but even then I can just pull the brown off and it looks good again. I would think mazus could make a good grass substitute for people who don't want to mow...at least in smallish areas. What do you think?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have seen it as a groundcover (in our Learning Garden in Virginia) and it was a great lawn replacement.

      Delete
  5. I concur with everyone else. The mazus in the patio joints is genius. Did you plan the patio's pavers so that there was space between the stones to plant?
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray, it was the plan, yes. Because of the material the stones are set in, there isn't much soil, and there's quite a bit of heat from the stones in summer. Both limit the plant choices, but sedum and mazus are doing well. We tried Pratia in there, too, but it succumbed. Corsican mint is nice to mix in, but it doesn't last very long either.

      Delete
  6. Patio looks great. I will drive over to see it soon. Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! Come on...look forward to seeing you.

      Delete
  7. I have been amazed at how tough the dainty looking Mazus seems to be, and your patio looks good with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Les. It is tough, pretty and easy to establish. There is some weeding involved...trees like to sprout up in it. And it needs to be thinned occasionally. I pull plugs out and put them in other areas of the garden, or give them away. Overall, I love it.

      Delete