Monday, February 18, 2013

What in the World is This?


I took this picture of a developing flower spike last year in early March.  It is an herbaceous perennial that grows in light shade and dry soil.  You might get a clue from my plant list, but there are things growing in my garden that are not on the list.

The first person to convince me they have the answer (I can't remember what it is!) will get some virtual applause.  Just what you always wanted, right?  Thanks for playing along!

~ Daricia

~*~

For googlers and archive readers, the follow-up: What in the World This Is

6 comments:

  1. The only answer I can come up with is Heuchera, though it is a lame answer. I am really at a loss as to what your budded stem might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, that was my first thought about this plant, too, It looks like huchera from what little we can see of it.

      Delete
  2. Since you aren't showing any leaves, I'm assuming it's something that buds and flowers before producing leaves in the spring. I'm going to guess Mukdenia rossii, which is not on your list, but that's what it reminds me of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are right Janet. http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReyzi5stBb7TP1kluPP9bmcZ-5kqcCgg7u3cJG20BFZRbO-bKd

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like Epimedium, maybe sulphureum since it is yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are there any leaves under those dried leaves?! Do you actually know or is this a 'test'?! It does look like epimedium...and I have a yellow variety that flowers kind of like that...but there are tons of green leaves attached! This is a tough one. I'll be interested to know the answer :)

    ReplyDelete