Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Lichen the Rain

It's a good thing I'm a gardener, or else I might not appreciate this gray drizzle today.  I might never think about how lucky the plants are to have a nice cloud cover and moist air.  I might even think it's better to stay inside and eat another brownie.






But since I am a gardener (and happen to have an insistent dog),  I went out and poked around in the leaves again to see if I could find the new growth that could confirm my thought about the unidentified flower spike I posted a picture of yesterday.

I pulled some bitter cress and wild garlic out of the flower beds while the ground is so amenable.

I noticed some miniature daffodils in a strange spot in my neighbors yard and wondered if the chipmunks or squirrels moved some of mine over there.



And I  found these wondrous clumps of drenched lichens that fell from the trees when Saturday's snow melted.

~*~

5 comments:

  1. I find the concept of lichen fascinating. Two different organisms growing together with different biology as one. Sounds like something from Star Trek.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Lichen, fungi and moss are some of the overlooked families in the garden but they are so fascinating! Good for you for getting out with your dog. Mine are desperate to go for some long walks but it keeps raining here. I may just have to "cowgirl up" and get out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Karin. Moss and lichen are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovin Lichen --- a little bit of green in the winter! Still curious about that mysterious stem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wish there was a way to put these beautiful bits that fall from the trees to good use.

    ReplyDelete