Friday, February 15, 2013

February's Flowers

Crocus tommasinianus 'Ruby Giant'
Outside there's still a gray and brown landscape, so happening upon these brilliant purple flowers with the sulphur yellow stamens is a surprise and a delight.  May I introduce my plant of the hour, Crocus 'Ruby Giant.'


Like so many other flowers I love, these are tiny (in spite of their name!), reaching about 3 inches tall.  The dark purple edges of the petals and the white throat, which is much more striking in the garden than in my pictures, makes them especially appealing.  I have these crocuses planted on either side of my sidewalk; on this side they're blooming unperturbed, but look what's on the other side today --


A chipmunk has decided to move in under these.  Will he eat all the bulbs?  I don't know, but I wish he had decided to burrow elsewhere (to put it mildly).   He's messy, too--there's dirt strewn all over the sidewalk!


Another tiny favorite, Narcissus 'W. P. Milner' looks shy with its dainty, nodding blooms.  This miniature reaches about 6 inches tall.  I have these planted at one end of my pink garden, which will be in bloom a few weeks from now.


I probably should have moved a few leaves before I took this picture, but I do think it shows the reality of the garden in February, certainly my garden.  Mazus (Mazus reptans) is just beginning to bloom, especially where it is close to the warm stone wall.

Sometimes you have to lie on your back to look at a flower.  I wasn't quite willing to do that today--the ground was wet and that chipmunk burrow was too nearby for comfort.  So I stuck my camera under this hellebore and hoped for the best.





What would winter be without hellebores?  Well, I don't know...but less bearable, I'd say.


Here's another plant that likes for you to lie down, or at least bow deeply, in order to see its pretty flowers--Paperbush (Edgeworthia chrysantha).  Take a whiff of these blooms and completely forget about Winter for a moment.


Other plants blooming right now are Witch Hazel 'Jelena', Camellia 'Professor Charles Sargent', a single bright yellow snow crocus, snowdropspaperwhites, several varieties of yellow large trumpet daffodils, and periwinkle.

Now that I think about it, February's blooms are nearly identical to last year's, except that my winter honeysuckle with the heavenly scent died for some unknown reason last fall.  Fortunately, my delicious paperbush is now of an age to bloom, so fragrance in the garden continues uninterrupted.

Do you have a special favorite right now, your own bloom of the hour?  I would love to hear about it!

~*~

Flaunt Your Flowers
Garden Bloggers Bloom Day