Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Endearingly Diminutive


It is 74 balmy degrees on this gray January day -- rather like a wintertime trip to Florida without leaving town.  Outside my back door is this pretty daffodil, the only one so far, but the first of many more to look forward to.

The sweetgum ball beside the leaves gives you an idea of the size of the bloom -- tiny! -- although now that I take a second look, the overhead perspective kind of messes up the scale.  Maybe it's a little clearer in the picture below that the bloom isn't even quite as large as the gum ball.


My daffodil is Narcissus 'Little Gem.'  It is about 6 inches tall and the bloom is 1 1/2 inches across.  I'm so in love with these mini flowers that it was an especial delight coming across this passage in Elizabeth Lawrence's book, The Little Bulbs:
Of all the little bulbs, the flowers of these miniatures are the most endearingly diminutive, the most daintily perfect in proportion, and the most delicate in color.  When they are in bloom I feel as if I could not stop looking at them for a moment, and when they are gone I am almost ashamed of the sharpness of my regret. 

Cool weather returns tomorrow, but Spring is getting impatient.  So is this gardener.

~*~

8 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but I think the miniature daffodils are more charming...I don't care for Giant King Alfreds. I'm a fan of Hawera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Hawera too, but so far Little Gem is my favorite because it looks so perfectly like the big ones--like a shrinky dink of King Alfred. I definitely agree that they are more charming.

      Delete
  2. Very sweet! There is definitely something charming about miniatures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, what a darling little daff! You and Janet both have adorable miniatures. Why haven't I added them to my garden? I'm inspired--they are too cute. My first Ice Follies bloomed yesterday before the big storms arrived. Daffodils are like a good antidepressant without going to the doctor's office, in my opinion. You just can't be in a bad mood when you're looking at a just-bloomed daffodil. Enjoy! (BTW--are you going to San Fran?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the cheer factor for daffodils...happy, happy flowers. I signed up for the GBF yesterday but I'm not 100% sure yet. I think I'll be there, though. You?

      Delete
    2. I'm hoping to go. I've also signed up and am checking on flights. I definitely want to go, I'm just figuring out the logistics! ;-)

      Delete
  4. I don't know this miniature... what a cutie. I have a couple more that haven't put up a bloom yet. Cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from Brent and Becky's a couple of years ago, Janet. I love it because, unlike a couple of others I've had (Minnow, for example) the stems stay short AND the flowers small.

      Delete