Friday, November 16, 2012

November Bloom Day

Rosa 'Flower Carpet Amber'

This November Bloom Day at my house is limited to just a few flowers that still look pretty, and several that have blooms, but their heads are hanging low or their petals have mostly fallen.  A month of drought this year didn't help much.

Flower Carpet Amber roses are in the "still pretty" group.  There aren't a lot of blooms, but the ones there are like the cool, fresh air and last longer than in the summer.

Rosa 'Gruss an Aachen'

Another favorite is floribunda rose 'Gruss an Aachen' which hasn't been particularly vigorous, but manages to hang on year after year, disease free, while blooming in part shade. This time of year, once the temperatures fall at night, it seems to be the rose it was created to be. Take a look at this post from hot August (it's the 8th picture down) and see how different it looks in November! The fragrance of this rose is divine and it holds on to that better in the cool weather, too.

Besides these two roses, there are some Mexican mint marigold blooms...

Mexican mint marigold (Tagetes lucida)

and some pineapple sage is still putting on a show.

Pineapple sage (Salvia elegans)

I can't show you the mums in their current state.  Too depressing.  But they were beautiful for weeks!  Here's a 'Helen' back in October.

Chrysanthemum x morifolium 'Helen'

That's about it from A Charlotte Garden.  What's blooming where you are right now?

~*~

12 comments:

  1. I love the last flowers, they seem especially pretty even though they are fading, drooping or have brown petals. I saw small carpenter bees on the messiest looking Sheffield mum yesterday! The tagetes is a wonderful color and I love that Pineapple sage blooms so late. gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, I have been appreciative of fading flowers, the colors especially, but I'm not feeling patient with the messy decline this year. I'm ready to move inside for a while where the weather and the pests don't bother the plants so much!

      Delete
  2. Lovely blooms! My mums bit the dust when we got frost this week. So sad, because last year they were still going strong at Thanksgiving. My roses and believe it or not encore azaleas are still blooming. According to Farmer's Almanac we are to have a "chilly" winter so I am wondering how cold it is going to get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had mums later last year, too, Karin. This year wind and serious lack of rain for several weeks took their toll. Everyone's predicting a cold winter this year it seems. We'll know soon enough!

      Delete
  3. Looking might good, Daricia. There's so much that can grow in this great Carolina climate that simply amazes me. My coneflowers, Veronica, 'Knockout' roses, and Lantana are still in bloom. I've even planted a winter garden of veggies such as savoy cabbage, garlic, bay tree, sage and kale in containers on my deck so that the deer won't dine on them .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are indeed lucky to be in zone 7/8, Carolyn. Good luck with your winter veggies...I have a few for the first time, too. Fresh greens in the winter sounded too good to pass up! You'll have to take your bay inside, won't you?

      Delete
  4. It is nice that you have some actual blooms, rather than the dried up seed heads I have. I am envious of your zone! Thanks for joining in for bloom day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I do feel fortunate to live in this zone...short winters are fine by me. Thanks for hosting bloom day each month, and for stopping by today.

      Delete
  5. Your roses are gorgeous. Love the Carpet Amber, what a lovely color. My mums are on their way out, not very pretty.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Flower Carpet Amber roses in my Zone 6b Rochesterm, NY garden are still blooming quite a bit, too, even through a couple frosts (the stems/canes have already turned that dark purple they get when it gets really cold up here.) Jealous of the salvia! That kicked the bucket up here a while ago! Thanks for sharing, and have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Lisa. I am in love with Flower Carpet Amber. It blooms like crazy and then lasts forever...plus the color is gorgeous! Several more are in the garden plans for next year. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

      Delete