Monday, October 29, 2012

Black Scallop Ajuga

The little ones have grown up in my house and all over the neighborhood.  If we get a half dozen trick-or-treaters here, I'll be surprised.  Although Hurricane Sandy will miss us, she's certainly been a preoccupation over the last few days.

For the first year ever, we have no jack-o-lantern, no candy, nor any other signs of Halloween at our house, but the garden has offered up this pretty black and orange combo.   It's Ajuga 'Black Scallop' with a mix of fallen foliage -- oak, sweetgum, dogwood, river birch.  Even better, don't you think?  No carbs, and no carving required!

Like other ajugas, this one has a big flush of purple flower spikes in the spring and adds a nice contrast of texture and color to the daffodils and azaleas.  It's a tough, drought-resistant ground cover that isn't bothered by deer or rodents.  It keeps its leaves through the winter, but it looks especially good (and black!) in October.

~*~

For more black plants you might like to add to your garden, take a look at Black Plants:  75 Striking Choices for the Garden.



5 comments:

  1. Ooooo...so pretty! I definitely want it!

    One of my other friends mentioned that her teen boys didn't want to carve pumpkins this year. Personally, I think it should be a requirement that if a child lives at home, they must carve pumpkins, participate in Easter egg hunts, and occasionally watch PBS Kids with their mom. It's too sad that our babies grow up so quickly! Happy (almost) Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that, Julie! Unfortunately, my youngest is the only one still home, and she has a decided lack of enthusiasm for such. I think it will have to be grandchildren we bring back the festivities for. Even though I'm way, waaay too young to be a grandmother. ;)

      Delete
  2. We had no trick or treaters either. Nor pumpkins nor candy (sad face). I have some Black Scallop ajuga and love it. Mine is in the garden with some Artemisia 'Silver Brocade', kind of looks like Dusty Miller, though is a low grower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of silver with Black Scallop...I'll bet that's a pretty combination.

      Delete
  3. And my ajuga grows equally well in sun and shade. It's in the back, though so the 13 kids that came to my house did not see it.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete