Sunday, September 30, 2012

Hello, Mum

The rosy petals and sulphur yellow centers of this chrysanthemum (an unnamed C. morifolium) have cheered me for weeks.  It has been blooming in my butterfly garden for nearly all of September.  You can see its baby picture here (at the bottom left of the top photo in the post).

I've been surprised and thrilled with how well chrysanthemums stand up to drought, pests and shade.  This one kept a nice shape and size (about 18" by 24") without pinching, and bloomed early--in the shade.  I'm sure you wouldn't be able to see the greenery for the blooms if I had put it in the sun and pinched it a couple of times, but I like it just like this.  

~*~

I Love Chrysanthemums!

8 comments:

  1. Your mums are gorgeous! I'm still waiting for mine to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, karin. most of mine are yet to bloom, too. i always love seeing exactly what blooms...new ones show up every year!

      Delete
  2. Your pink mums are sure pretty. I used to have some Sheffield mums, they were very nice. The ones I have now, eh, need to be pinched often, bloomed early, pinched again, and now are falling open. Of course they are by the front door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have empty pots flanking my front door right now...sad! time to get something fresh in there.

      Delete
  3. I've found Lots of necessary information from your blog. Just bookmark your blog for more explore! I will definitely share this post with others. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous mum! I'm so glad you mentioned that it did well in shade, because I've shied away from mums due to our very shady yard and front entranceway. Guess I need to go shopping! ;-)

    ReplyDelete