Friday, June 15, 2012

Daylily Bloom Day

Daylilies 'Jolyene Nichole' and 'Fairy Tale Pink' (below) are hanging in there with some help from Liquid Fence.  I have sprayed about every three weeks this season and it has helped a lot with keeping the deer from eating them.  We've also had plenty of rain, which daylilies love, even though they are tolerant of dry soil.  I like the delicate colored petals of these two varieties, and their yellow-green throats.


Gayla Trail in her latest book, Easy Growing: Organic Herbs and Edible Flowers from Small Spaces, recommends sauteeing daylily buds.  Have you tried that?  She says they are crunchy like snow peas and good for Asian stirfries.   I'm not sure I have enough to gather yet, but when I do, I'll try it.  I'm working on a Pinterest board, Eat the Daisies!  Check it out if you are interested in edible flowers, too.

Happy Bloom Day!
~*~

6 comments:

  1. They are almost too pretty to eat! Let me know how they taste. I always have a hard time eating edible flowers because they are so pretty to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know what you mean, karin...me too! but when there are a lot of a certain kind, or if they're tiny like herb flowers, then i dont mind so much.

      Delete
  2. aloha,

    what beautiful photos of your lillies, thanks for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have eaten daylilies and they are not bad, reminded me of butter lettuce. Happy GBBD!

      Delete
    2. butter lettuce is a good description...but i've only eaten them raw.

      Delete
  3. This time of year the daylilies are so pretty. Each and every one is prettier than the next.

    ReplyDelete