Saturday, June 30, 2012

Cilantro Flowers


The cilantro plant (Coriandrum sativum) is actually the source of two culinary products--cilantro, which is the leaves of the herb, and coriander, which is the fruits.   Cilantro is used fresh, and coriander is usually dried and used whole or ground.

An interesting thing is that the coriander taste shows up in the flowers.  There's a little citrus and spicy mint along with the musty green flavor--a two for one deal!   Unfortunately for the "cilantro tastes like soap" crowd, you still won't like them, but for the rest of us, it's cilantro with a little brightness...an interesting flavor boost.

Cilantro is easy in the garden, self-seeding with the zinnias and herbs, mingling in a lovely baby's breath kind of way.

Give these a try and tell me what you think. I ate them with bean salad recently and thought they were perfect with that, both for flavor and presentation.

9 comments:

  1. I am not a big cilantro fan, though coming around more so than a few years ago. May have to give it a serious try again. Think I had a salad that went over board on the cilantro and it killed my desire for it.
    Our get together needs to be later on, this heat was just toooo much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I ate cilantro oil once that had the same effect...and I love cilantro! Too much is just too much, though. Same with the heat! I like it hot for the most part, but 105 makes me really glad we have a/c.

      Delete
  2. Most people either love it or hate it. As for me....LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cilantro and so does my son..thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cilantro = ok. mom, come water my azaleas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Put me in the "love" column. I think I could eat in on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know the two terms refer to different parts of the plant. Here in Australia we just call it coriander. The first time I saw someone mention cilantro I assumed it was a herb I'd never encountered before and I asked what it was.

    Btw I was interested to see you include the, um, let's just call it fuligo in your list of plants. We get that here too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew it (am growing it now) for the first time this year. Most are flowers now too, and I am hoping to harvest any seeds for use next year and for cooking. Will it grow in fall?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dislike cilantro. Like cilantro flowers!

    ReplyDelete