Monday, March 12, 2012

The Chicken Encyclopedia

A Charlotte Garden is happy to be part of  the Storey Publishing Blog Book Tour for 
The Chicken Encyclopedia by Gail Damerow.
Leave a comment to win...details below! 
A warm welcome to new visitors -- and regular readers, too! 
~*~



Oleander (Nerium oleander) is a beautiful flowering shrub, so popular along the coast of North Carolina that nearly every yard has more than one.  Take for example this cute, pink-shuttered cottage at Ocean Isle Beach, NC.  There are at least half a dozen along the driveway.

If you like the beach as much as I do, you can see that carport and and all those pretty flowers and in a quick second begin to imagine driving right up, taking your suitcase inside and settling in for a week.





You further imagine sleeping in the next morning, expecting by late morning you would leave this cute house and head for the shore...


You would stroll down the sidewalk (more oleander behind a lighthouse light) sand in your sandals, balmy Banana Boat breezes in your face, the sound of seagulls overhead.

You would smell burgers at the pier grill, but it's not quite time for lunch.  There would be only  enough time to sit in the sun for about an hour.



If only I had a good book to read, you would think...

But wait...does the beach have anything to do with chickens?  Probably not, but there is a point...or, was.  It's the oleander!  Those bright blooms and slender leaves are potentially toxic to chickens.  And there are other common, everyday plants that you should keep your chickens away from.

Pokeberry (Phytolacca americana)

Milkweed (Asclepias spp.)

You will learn about this from the handy Common Potentially Toxic Plants chart on pages 272-3 of the new The Chicken Encyclopedia by Gail Damerow.

You could actually make this book your beach read if you wanted to.  Since it is an encyclopedia, the entries are listed alphabetically; you can easily look things up as you need to know them.  But many of the chicken keepers on the tour so far have said they liked it so much, that it was so interesting and full of information new to them, that they started with A and just kept on reading to Z, front to back like a good novel.

There are entries detailing various aspects of animal behavior, diagrams of anatomical features, descriptions of diseases and treatments, chick development, and terms like cackleberry which is a slang word for egg, and Dorking, which I encourage you to look up for yourself.

There are how-tos such as the practical, "How to make a roost," the fascinating, "How to hypnotize a chicken" (and why you might want to) and the slightly creepy, "How to dye a chicken," which involves needles and wax.

You can find out which breeds lay blue, brown or tinted eggs along with plenty of other information about the many available breeds.

The book has definitions, diagrams, illustrations, charts and beautiful photographs of chicks and chickens of all types -- enough variety and attractiveness to keep you moving right along.

By now in your beach dream you've reached the Cs in The Chicken Encyclopedia.  You're starting to burn, so you make a move toward the dunes and head back to the cute cottage with the pink shutters and matching flowers.  You call your daughter on the way, "Remember when you were little and you used to make me take that squiggly white thing off the egg yolk before I scrambled your eggs?...well, you're not going to believe this...it has a name besides 'that nasty thing.'  It's called a chalaza!"

Gail Damerow has a family farm in Tennessee.  She has written several other popular books about raising chickens, including Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens which is now out in its third edition.

~*~ 
Win!
If you would like to win your own copy of The Chicken Encyclopedia, just leave a comment below saying so! Contest will close on Monday, March 19. Winner will be notified in an update to this post on March 20, the first day of Spring! US residents only, please.

The winner of The Chicken Encyclopedia is Marie!  Marie, please send me your email (acltgarden@gmail.com) to confirm.  Congratulations!  A big THANK YOU to all who entered!


Follow along with the tour:
2-Mar For the Love of Chickens
3-Mar Vintage Garden Gal
4-Mar The Garden Roof Coop
5-Mar Common Weeder
6-Mar Chickens in the Road
7-Mar Garden Rant 
8-Mar Fresh Eggs Daily
9-Mar My Pet Chicken Blog 
10-Mar Coop Thoughts
11-Mar BoHo Farm and Home
12-Mar Happy Chickens Lay Healthy Eggs
13-Mar A Charlotte Garden 
14-Mar Farm Fresh Fun 
15-Mar The Hen Cam
16-Mar Life on a Southern Farm
17-Mar A Dozen Girls, the Chicken Chick
18-Mar North Coast Gardening

March 19 is National Poultry Day!  Storey's blog, Inside Storey, will do a tour finale that day with a special giveaway.  Be sure to drop by!


36 comments:

  1. Nerium, lovely to look at, deadly to eat, and not just for chickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i probably should've added something about that -- i'm glad you pointed it out.

      Delete
  2. Cute posting Daricia. Love the beach!! Wish we could grow Oleander here, it is borderline.
    Cute chicken book. I know that little white thing! Eggs every morning ...yummm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, janet! we're in agreement about the beach, for sure. have you considered trying oleander up against the house or in a protected spot? i can't believe the range of flower color for that plant!

      Delete
  3. I totally want to win! :)
    steeplechaser29 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can one not want a copy of the Chicken Encyclopedia? I want one!! Hoping to get Chickens soon.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love to be on that boardwalk setting with a good book! Thanks for the giveaway opp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are Cape Cod beach bums...thanks for the clever segue and visions of the beach season to come! Please enter our name in the drawing. surfingthesandbar at yahoo dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to win this very informative book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing all the pictures. I have family is South Carolina and a lot of pics remind me of visiting them. I am new to chickens and would like to be entered for a chance to win the book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Daricia, Oleanders always remind me of Galveston Island. They must be the most popular landscape plant on the island, due to the fact that they are salt-wind resistant. Each spring the Oleander Society has an Oleander Festival. I have often thought it would be fun to go, but unfortunately I’ve never been. Thanks for the great article. It is so important that folks know they are poisonous. I’ve had gardening friends tell me about skin reactions from the sap. I even had a friend that got some sap in their eye and had a serious problem. Be careful when working around these beautiful shrubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the additional info about oleander, lucy! i had no idea there was an oleander society, but it only makes sense with so many cultivars of that plant...not too different from roses or daylilies in that respect. i also didn't know it was THAT poisonous! important to keep in mind.

      Delete
  10. I would love a copy of the book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to win the Chicken Encyclopedia and make it my beach read! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun it would be to live by the beach! I love your Blog and photos! I'd like to win the Chicken Encyclopedia!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to win a copy of this book. It sounds so informative & very useful for this chicken lover!!! I loved all your plant & beach photos too! badmunki68@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I'd love to win a copy! I came to visit along the chicken blog tour, but I was delighted to see your photos. Next to my farm, an ocean beach is my favorite place to be. So I could get right into your stroll to the beach...thanks for a refreshing break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, You are the WINNER!!! Please send an email to acltgarden@gmail.com to claim your prize! Congratulations!

      Delete
  15. I would love to win a copy of this book! It looks very useful, especially to someone who aspires to have chickens some day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to win a copy of the Encyclopedia Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Getting my first chicks on 4/20, I need this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to win the encyclopedia in the hopes of having chickens myself someday too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd love a chance to win too ! Our new chicks arrive in a few short weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love a chance to win too - hope I didn't miss the window of opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for doing this. I would love get a copy of the book. Always enjoy all your pictures and descriptions. I can almost smell the ocean breezes after this post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Deborah in AtlantaMarch 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

    Would love to win and really enjoy your blog! I would love to read it at the beach, or anywhere else just in case I can't get to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i would love to win this book! gail's the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great Site! I am just starting out with 4 chickens and a rooster. I would love to win this book to help my understanding of poultry and to help me in choosing the right birds. Thanks for entering me in the drawing. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would really love to win this book. I don't get to the beach much, but I now have 3 acres in rural Missouri to sit outside in the sun and read. I think I need to put up a hammock!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is my idea of a beach read. :) I'd love to win the book.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can picture myself reading this in my back garden while my 4 hens are foraging around for their bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm a new chicken owner and can't wait to really get into having fresh eggs and learning about
    my new pets. I would love to read your book so I know exactly what I need to look out for. Thanks
    for the offer, I love to read everything I can about chicken life. Hope I win your book :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh yes, please put my name in the hat. Love your photos, you have a beautiful blog

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'd be thrilled to win a copy -- sounds like a great read. And now I think I need to plan a beach vacation... :)

    ReplyDelete