Friday, February 17, 2012

windowsill lettuce

Over the years my children and I have tried all sorts of grocery store gardening, growing all the typical ones you hear about for fun and foliage in the wintertime -- carrot tops, sweet potatoes, avocado pits, citrus seeds, lentils, peanuts, etc.  But recently I ran across a comment on Facebook that suggested putting romaine lettuce in the ground and getting a second flush of leaves.  That one never even occurred to me!



I was a little bit skeptical as I cut the browning root end off while making a salad, but I went ahead and potted it up and put it at the window.  This is it after just a couple of days!

To see if anything was happening underneath the plant, I picked it up (scientific investigation, don't you know).  No actual roots yet, but there does look to be some callousing and a row of pre-root bumps starting to appear.  I'm hopeful I'll actually have plants growing soon, but even if not, there's almost enough leaves to put on a sandwich now.  I feel so frugal.  Talk about not wasting anything!

~*~

I used organic lettuce from Absolute Organics.   Fresh organic fruits and vegetables delivered to your door is a wonderful thing.  It's convenient and quite reasonably priced.  If you're in the Charlotte area, I highly recommend them.   This sounds like an ad, but it isn't; I really just love the service.  We eat more veggies because of it.



9 comments:

  1. IMHO, newly seeded lettuces were much tastier and more tender than when I cut them and let them 'come again.' Seeded lettuce grows very quickly -- just a very few seeds from a packet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea! Who Knew? So fun to think it could be that easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romaine is our primary salad green. I am definitely going to try this. Keep us posted on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool ! I'll have to try it. I don't tink we have Organic delivery here, sounds expensive, but you say it's reasonable, lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so COOL!! I am going to try that with the next head of Romaine I use. What a clever idea. Heard you can do the same with celery....too fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat! I planted some lettuce seeds in a pot, they sprouted, but never really grew much past that. No idea what to do to get better results, but I still have a half a package of seeds left. Maybe I'll try again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm so glad you all liked this idea. i will try to do more posts like this. right now the leaves have grown at least twice the size as in this photo, but still no roots as of yesterday. more experiments to do!

    ReplyDelete