Wednesday, February 8, 2012

botanical valentines: sarracenia

Coppertop pitcher plant (Sarracenia flava var. cuprea)
You would have to look hard to find a more unlikely valentine than carnivorous Sarracenia flava.  These weird plants tend to have more of a Halloween vibe.  But, those are distinctly reddish, heart-shaped hoods atop the tubular leaves of this intriguing plant.  I think they make rather exciting botanical valentines.

~*~  

Sarracenia in its native habitat is an excellent Flickr photo set by Brad Wilson.  Seeing these plants in their native wetlands is so inspiring; you will love these pictures.

Marsh Pink, Sabatia  is a post I did this summer about marsh pinks, with a couple more pictures of this plant (and a few others) in the little bog garden I made.


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful leaf. Do you mind if I post it on Valentines Day with a link to your blog? I see that your name is already on the photo?
    nellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i couldnt find an email for you on your lovely blog, nellie, but you are welcome to use my photo with link back. thank you for asking. i am glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great heart shaped plant. I have that Marsh Pink in my lower backyard...think you were one of the people who made the ID for me.

    ReplyDelete