Wednesday, February 15, 2012

bloom day by cell


I know the weather has been exclaimed over all winter, but wow is it warm today! We've had about a week of really low temperatures so far. I heard it called The Winter That Never Was this morning on the local news. But, I'm not complaining! I took a few steps around the garden just now and snapped some shots with my phone for Bloom Day.* Come and look at my blooms!


I have hellebores, as you can see (Brandywine, Pine Knot, and their babies). I so love these! They come so early and bloom for such a long time. Nothing perturbs them, not squirrels, voles, deer, rabbits, not diseases nor drought. They're amazing and wonderful plants as far as I'm concerned, not native, but otherwise perfect.


Crocus 'Ruby Giant' burst into bloom today just for bloom day! The intensity of the purple is luscious.


Witch hazels are blooming. This one is Hammamelis 'Jelena'. I've decided the blooms smell kind of like fabric softener or laundry detergent. I like it okay, but I'm not a huge fan. I took a small branch inside so we could enjoy the unusual blooms up close.  They've lasted longer than I expected, about a week so far.


The best scent in the winter garden to me is winter honeysuckle. The tiny blooms are so incredibly fragrant, I can catch a whiff as soon as I walk outside some days. I love it!  


I have heard winter honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissima) is invasive in some areas, but it has not made any "bad plant" lists in North Carolina.


Narcissus have been blooming since November, but the trumpets have started now, too.


You can see my 'Plentifall' pansies in the background. They have bloomed non-stop since I put them there at the end of October.


Nearby a stray crocus comes up through an autumn fern.


I have pulled out tons of this plant, periwinkle (Vinca minor), but there is still plenty out there. I don't find it particularly aggressive, but it is a non-native and is considered invasive, so I'm gradually replacing it with other things.


This time of year the evergreen foliage and blue blooms look pretty with the daffodils.


The cold snap we just had browned most of my camellia blooms, but this one survived unaffected. This is 'Professor Charles Sargent.' I'm thrilled to have these lush red flowers during the winter. They are perfect to bring inside for Valentine's Day.

~*~

*Bloom Day was started years ago by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.  To find out what's blooming today in her garden and in gardens all around the world, visit her blog here.

15 comments:

  1. Jak to miło popatrzeć, że już gdzieś jest wiosna z jej pierwszymi kwiatami. Pozdrawiam. *** How nice look that is somewhere in the first spring flowers. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the close-up photo of the crocus. REALLY PRETTY! The combination of the purple-blue petals and the yellow stamens is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your camellia bloom is gorgeous! So frilly and romantic. And that purple crocus bloom picture is fabulous! I love those little blooms. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was raised with winter honeysuckle and daffodils. When I get a whiff of winter honeysuckle, it takes me far, far back. I never asked anybody for a piece to root, I just think about the fragrance every now and then.

    Happy Bloom day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fragrance of the winter honeysuckle, just worried about it being a thug? I have Brandywine Hellebore, they are really performing nicely.
    Beautiful blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a guilty secret to admit... all of my photos are taken with my...phone! I did take 2 semesters of photography in school too, and I even know how to operate in a darkroom, but in the end, I am too lazy to do any of it, so its iphone or nothing!!

    And see, if you hadn't said, I wouldn't have known the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ps are you doing the garden thing in Charlotte this Spring. I'm considering it if there are people I 'know' going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your winter blooms are luscious! The cold snap over the weekend took most of my cherry blossoms and camellia but fortunately there are some buds that haven't opened yet. I love your hellebore and crocuses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. jess, are you talking about the garden blogger's fling in asheville? or is there something else i don't know about! would love to see you in avl...i won't "know" many people there so far, but it sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks to all of you who dropped by see my bloom day blooms! i enjoyed seeing all of your latest posts, too. it was a greener than usual february almost everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so super-jealous of your Witch Hazel...I just don't have room for one :-( I agree on that Crocus...the color is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not bad for a cell phone.

    I find the Winter Honeysuckle to smell like a bowl of Fruit Loops cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day! I especially like the crocus blooms!
    Sorry I'm a little late getting my comment in.
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're lucky your Hellebore's aren't bothered by squirrels! I have VERY NAUGHTY squirrels here and they gnaw off the buds AND blooms of my Hellebores! I have started spraying with a critter repellant which has been helping...but why should I have to?!?! They frustrate me so...:-) I have vinca too...and 'try' to keep it contained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jan, i was so surprised to hear about any critter at all eating hellebores! we have scads of squirrels and they dig up and chew on lots of things, but never hellebores. hellebores are poisonous...have you seen any dead squirrels lying around? :D just kidding. i get so exasperated with deer eating all the buds off of things, and voles have destroyed some of my favorite perennials, but my trusty hellebores grow and bloom without any problems from anything at all. maybe i should knock wood! we really shouldn't garden unless we just can't help ourselves, should we? :)

      Delete