Thursday, January 26, 2012

Snowdrops

Galanthus elwesii
Snowdrops (Galanthus), like orchids and tulips, have their wildly passionate advocates.   They can become an obsession.  Author/blogger John Grimshaw recently posted on his blog that a galanthophile had purchased a single bulb of Galanthus 'Green Tear' for 360 British pounds (that's $564 USD)!


I can't say I would pay large sums for a bulb, but I am among the charmed.  The diminutive size, dainty, nodding blooms, fresh white and green color, and a fragrance you notice as you kneel for a photograph, make them entirely captivating.  I added dozens of bulbs to my garden last fall.  Now they are blooming and every morning there are new spots of light in the leaf litter.


~*~





5 comments:

  1. $564! With my luck, it would rot or the armadillos would root it up. I'm still waiting on my snowdrops to appear. They do have a dainty elegance about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are sweet, love the sweet little blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One year, I was able to grow these. Alas, they never came back probably because it is so hot here in summer. Loved seeing yours.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're so dainty, I always imagine a fairy taking a shower under them.:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful day here with morning spent in the garden where I noticed my first snowdrop blooming.

    ReplyDelete