Thursday, January 12, 2012

little bowl of christmas

My husband and I are always out of sync when it comes to the Christmas decorations and when they should go.  He is ready to tear them all down and haul the tree to the curb on the 26th.  I would really rather leave them up until at least New Year's Day.  I am so focused on getting ready for Christmas that I enjoy them most after the rush.

Lots of spouses are like this, aren't they?  What do you do at your house?

This year we compromised and took the tree down on the 29th, but I kept a little bowl of Christmas in the living room by making potpourri with some of the greenery, flowers from the Christmas morning table arrangement, and a few spices and citrus peels.  It smells so good!  And isn't it pretty?

My mother-in-law who is a wonderful potter made the bowl.  I love it!  She also gave us the old books in the background; the candle is from my mom.   I didn't really plan out the photo (if only I had thought to light the candle!), but I like how well it conjures Christmas for me.

I hope you have happy memories of the holidays, too.  Happy New Year!

~*~




6 comments:

  1. What a cool idea. I'll have to remember that for next year, and yes, my husband is one who is dragging the tree out the door as I am still trying to get the lights off. Love the bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a no later than New Year's Day kinda guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We only took our tree down last weekend and that was under protest from the kids. Like you, I enjoy it most after the holiday is over. I love the composition of your photo (and that the candle isn't lit). I like your idea of making a bowl of Christmas. I will have to try this next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They shouldn't come down until after Three Kings Day, January 6th....at the earliest. Ours will come down MAYBE this weekend. I like the idea of saving a few pieces of the tree and flowers and citrus. I imagine it does smell lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My tree is still up - we always leave it up at least until Epiphany (January 6) but it's usually the weekend after the 6th before I have a chance to take it down. I'm inspired by your idea for potpourri! Taking down the decorations is always so hard and sad for me, even after leaving them up as long as I do. Like you, I often enjoy them the most after Christmas day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gardening, we are in exactly the same boat!

    les, it seems to be another of those male/female things.

    karen, i was thinking the photo would have been prettier with some light in that dark spot, but now that you mention it, i guess it's more appropriate that the candle is out. :)

    janet, i always like a woman with an opinion! especially when it's the same as mine...ha! i am agreeable to taking the tree down at new year's mainly because it starts to get so dry by then.

    ginny, you will enjoy having a christmas potpourri. i stir mine up every day or two and enjoy the cloud of scent all over again. it's really nice.

    ReplyDelete