Monday, January 23, 2012

Blooming Today: Jelena Witch Hazel

Last spring we added four witch hazels to our garden, Hamamelis x intermedia 'Jelena'.  I had only seen pictures of these but loved the unusual flower form, the great color of the blooms, and the intense hues of the autumn leaves.  I crossed my fingers that the ones we got were correctly labeled;  you know how it is with tags sometimes.

early fall, Hamamelis 'Jelena'

Just a few days ago, I  told Karin at Southern Meadows (also in zone 7b) that I had no witch hazel blooms yet, but yesterday I walked out to look again and found that two of the shrubs do have a few blooms!

The brown leaves of last season still cling to the shrubs, so I didn't notice flowers at first. Do you know if it is characteristic of this plant to retain the dead leaves?  I hope not;  it's ugly.  I didn't notice a scent, either.  Has fragrance been sacrificed for bigger flowers (ie. hybrid tea roses)?  Maybe 'Jelena' releases scent at particular times or in certain weather.  If you know, please leave a comment.  I do hope it is fragrant.



Even without fragrance, the blooms are nice.  My artistic son took a glance at my photos and decided they look like crayon shavings.  Crinkly, waxy --  I can see it, can't you?

~*~


UPDATE February 2, 2012:  Jelena IS fragrant!  It doesn't seem to float through the air like winter honeysuckle, but up close it's nice.

5 comments:

  1. They are such fun blooms! They look like party streamers to me but I see the crayon shavings too! I don't know if they are fragrant but I do love their color! Thanks for the shot out! Are you getting as much rain as we are? My rain gauges are full!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daricia, I think it is common for witch hazels to hold on to their leaves well into winter...sorry.
    I believe Jelena is fragrant...I know some are more fragrant than others. I need to check mine and see if those buds have opened. And yes, I agree with your son, shaved bits of crayons. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lots of rain, karen, yes!

    thanks for the info, janet. i need to look at the native witch hazels and see if i can squeeze one of those in somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our witch hazel is Arnold's Promise. Every February he fulfills his promise. What a treat to the eyes and nose; yellow blossoms and a wonderful fragrance. Brightens up our February every year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Arnold Promise'is a great shrub! i would have planted that one instead of 'Jelena' except that i already have so much late winter/early spring yellow in my garden. maybe i should have gone with it after all! i'm glad yours is such a good performer for you.

    ReplyDelete