Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bloom Day (a little early)



Since it is October, I can't resist including a few berries with my Bloom Day blooms.  Their color is so remarkable right now.  Above is beautyberry (Callicarpa dichotoma 'Early Amethyst').


Mums are the most exciting blooms I have right now.  When I left for the weekend, there were only buds, but I came home on Monday to dozens of blooms like these!

This is one great mum -- Chrysanthemum 'Niche's October Glow' from Niche Gardens in Chapel Hill. Its peachy flowers are profuse on strong stems that stand upright even when most of my other chrysanthemums flop a little.  The plants are full and compact without a lot of pinching.  All of mine are in part shade; the color intensifies with the amount of sun they get.


'Ryan's Yellow' is a favorite, too. It flops quite a bit, but I like the clear yellow color and the way it kind of fills in around everything else.

I believe this is a seedling that came up.  I am fairly sure it isn't anything I planted, but with so many (unlabeled) plants, who can really be certain?  I do like the pink.


Also from Niche, this is chartreuse spiderwort (Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate').  Blooms appear on this plant more often than not for at least 5 or 6 months of the year.


There are still a few pink zinnias opening up.  These are Cut and Come Again seeds from  Botanical Interests.  Don't you feel a little proud if you grow something from seed -- even if it's as easy as these?



Basil is another plant hanging on and still blooming.  I started my basil from seed, too. Botanical Interests again, a mixture like this heirloom basil blend.  Basil doesn't do well in cool soil, and I found out that it does not pay at all to put it out early.  Start it in May, even the end of May, and it will grow quickly and vigorously for you.


Swamp sunflower is another flower that decided to open up while I was away.  It got a slow start this spring when deer chewed it way back, but then made up for lost time.  I think I'm going to love having this.  It is at the back of the border because it's tall, but so far, no flopping.


Winterberry holly (Ilex verticillata 'Winter Red') is new for us.  I love the color of the berries and was looking forward to having them on the bare branches as winter progresses, but most of the berries are already gone!  I don't see them on the ground, so I believe the birds are eating them, but didn't think they were supposed to until later on?  Do you know about this?


More red in the garden comes from pineapple sage (Salvia elegans 'Golden Delicious').  It is a Proven Winners plant, and it really was a winner.  Beautifully rounded and compact, the color created a bright spot in the garden.  And who can resist the Juicy Fruit fragrance? Pineapple sage is always a favorite of mine; the blooms are so late and so bright, they kind of surprise me anew each year.

The variegated leaf behind the pineapple sage is Cuban oregano (Plectranthus amboinicus).   I have enjoyed the combination all summer.  Both plants came from Rountree Nursery (one of my very favorite places!).



Leopard Plant (Farfugium japonicum 'Jitsuko's Star') is just starting to bloom in my garden.  I have seen it blooming in the middle of summer in Blowing Rock, but these are the first blooms for me.


~*~

Carol at May Dreams Gardens started Garden Bloggers Bloom Day years ago now.  She found her inspiration in the writings of Elizabeth Lawrence, who believed "we can have flowers nearly every month of the year" if we so choose.

Every month, Carol suggested, we would post the pictures of what is blooming in our gardens.  All of us would be paying a new kind of attention to our own gardens, and we would get to see the blooming plants of other gardeners all over the world, too.  What a successful meme Bloom Day has been!

Although I only participate occasionally, I enjoy seeing the posts of others every month.  Thanks to Carol, and to all the other bloggers who post pictures of their gardens.  You can find the links on Carol's blog each month on the 15th.


10 comments:

  1. Chryzantemy, cynie,bazylia, słoneczniki, owoce ostrokrzewu, szałwia - piękne, ale owoce beautyberry i ich kolor - prześliczne.Pozdrawiam cieplutko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blooms Daricia. (and berries!) I may get my ducks in a row to participate this month...it has been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful......the purple berries are amazing.... And the mums with the droplets.....awesomeness :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My, what an exquisite garden you have! Stunning images! So very lovely. I have never seen beautyberries before. Love the color. A joy to view all of your beautiful blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures...
    Fall blooming flowers always give me such a warm feeling...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like your perennial mums--great colors. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aloha,

    what a beautiful collection of mums, love all the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I just love that peachy colored mum. I'm also glad you included the berries. I love berries, and your winterberry looks like it's ready for the cold! Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks to all of you for stopping by. i appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful post, that Tradescantia is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete