Sunday, August 21, 2011

Blooming Today: Henry Eilers Coneflower

Henry Eilers Coneflower (Rudbeckia subtomentosa 'Henry Eilers') is a plant I first became aware of in Blowing Rock last August.  It was so unusual with the quilled petals and slightly peachy tone that I vowed to look for it come spring.

I found it at the Wing Haven sale, their very last pot, and took it home.  I planted it in my most cottage-y spot, a random mix of perennials and annuals, mostly because I needed some height in that bed.  The plant has reached about 3 feet tall, but it's a little floppy for me.

Maybe it would prefer more sun; it gets about a half day and then afternoon shade.

Taken just a second ago:



I guess it's a lot floppy, but I really like how it mixes with the pink coneflowers and salvia.

I learned from Fine Gardening that I should smell the leaves.  I wouldn't say they smell like vanilla or anise; in my mind, the scent is entirely unique but very pleasing.  I vaguely recall the seeds having a wonderful smell, too, when my propagation class collected them last fall.

Deer don't seem to like it.  Maybe they just haven't found it, or maybe they don't like that herbal scent, but thus far, no nibbles.

Do you have this plant?  Does it stand tall by itself or do you stake it?