Friday, July 29, 2011

Most Popular: Zinnia

Boy have I gotten a lot of return on investment with this package of zinnia seeds!  Everyone, human and otherwise, loves these flowers.  I have seen several types of bees, wasps, flies, caterpillars, butterflies, and beetles checking out the pollen and nectar.  Occasionally a hummingbird drops by, and this morning a goldfinch perched on one for not quite long enough for me to get back with a camera.

It would be a little bit of a stretch to call zinnias native, but it's tempting.  They are primarily from Mexico, with some occurring in the southwest US.  They love North Carolina, too, and will bloom like crazy until frost here.


I like to see all the colors as they begin blooming -- you can never be sure what you've got until then. Packages aren't always accurate about color or size, I've discovered, but that's just part of the fun of gardening, isn't it?