Sunday, June 26, 2011

Alice is Blushing


One of my favorite plants for the shady garden is the oakleaf hydrangea. This is my Hydrangea quercifolia 'Alice.' I have had her for about 6 or 7 years now under a white oak tree where she has grown to to a size of about 6' x 8'. This year she has been particularly lush.  After a spectacular show of especially long-panicled white blooms, she blushed so attractively I had to get a picture.  With oakleaf hydrangeas you always get to look forward to the fall, too, for another show.  In October Alice's very large leaves will turn red and orange.

6 comments:

  1. Do you have much drooping? I'm having a heck of a time this year with the flop, I think because of wind and rain.

    BTW your backyard in fall looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blossoms in my favorite colors! What a gorgeous shrub you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks to all of you for your comments. jess, this shrub sprawls just a tad, but i wouldn't say it droops. the branches and flowers are rather firmly upright, unlike 'Snowflake' and some others that seem to bow to the ground when they get heavy.

    ReplyDelete