Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Cope's Gray Treefrog


Look what we found in our family room Saturday morning! Do you suppose the cat brought him in? He didn't appear wounded, but he was still for a long time letting Will (my husband)  hold him.  I can't believe how much he looks like the tree bark he spends his time on.

Fortunately Will knew this was a treefrog already because I assumed it was a toad.  Plants are kinda more my thing, but I do love learning about the garden critters.

 After some sleuthing around online, we determined he is probably Cope's Gray Treefrog (Hyla chrysoscelis).  The description of white spots under the eyes and the yellow undersides of the hind legs (which I didn't photograph) sound right.  Cope's Gray Treefrog and the Common Gray Treefrog look identical and can only be distinguished by chromosomal analysis.  I don't happen to have a lab handy, but fortunately Cope's is far more widespread in NC than the Common Gray Treefrog which is only found in a couple of northern NC counties.  Strange, huh?  You would think Common would be more common!


 Gray Treefrog tested out the mulch for a while,  regarded us cooly, then hopped off toward the trees as we hopped off to the Wing Haven Garden Tour.

You can hear the call of Cope's Gray Treefrog here.