Thursday, March 10, 2011

Late Winter in Charlotte


Zillions of forsythia blooms were on my mind as I enjoyed the weather last Saturday. I thought about how they had been belles at the ball, the perfect antidote for a winter gray mood, only a few short weeks (days??) ago.

But then the skies had cleared and the days had warmed and eyeball-stabbing yellow became kind of obnoxious.

Are you ready for them to calm down and leaf out already?  I know I am.

How would it be to change out a few bright yellow daffodils for white ones and yellow crocuses for purple?  These were a couple of Notes to Self for next year.


Later that same day, I picked up A Southern Garden by Elizabeth Lawrence, and was tickled to read this:
Everyone greets the first daffodil with the feeling that there cannot be too much sunlight or too much yellow in the world.  But a few weeks of jasmine, forsythia, and the narcissus King Alfred bring the conviction that there can be too much of anything.
 Don't you love that?!



Ms Lawrence goes on to say:
In this frame of mind, I began digging up the masses of forsythia and jasmine that had overgrown the shrub border, offering them to all those new enough to gardening to be willing to take anything offered, and going about from garden to garden to see if anyone was discarding pink.
I also dig up several brand new forsythia shrubs every spring -- wherever the branch tips touch the ground, they root.   A  two or three year old shrub is adorable with its earnest sprays of flowers, and I have been known to save a few for the edges of the woods.

But, really, do I want any more full grown specimens?  One look out across the neighborhood and it's "enough already!"

I've never gone from garden to garden looking for anyone "discarding pink," but it makes me nostalgic thinking about it.  Maybe I will when it gets a little warmer.

For now, these pink (-ish) trees in my neighbors' yards satisy that fresh color craving:


Redbud (Cercis canadensis) in my neighbor's woodsy yard.


Magnolia 'Jane.'

I cut out the screaming forsythia hedge in the foreground for you -- you're welcome!