Friday, October 1, 2010

October's Gifts


Do you love October? We've started off on a good note here - relief from heat and humidity and, thank goodness, drought. The plants are revived and we are, too. Today is sunny and the temperature will top at around 80 degrees. Perfect, in my book.

I saw some interesting things while tweeting and reading blogs this week.  Just this morning I found a post by Meredith at Great Stems that I hadn't seen yet.  History Lesson - Making Polkweed Ink was fascinating!  Meredith is a wildlife lover and a fabulous photographer.  If you don't know her blog yet, you're in for a treat.

My David Austin Rose Handbook came in the mail this week.  These English roses are the epitome of cottage gorgeous.  I had heard they don't do that well in the South, but I am sure I won't be able to resist trying.  Dee at Red Dirt Ramblings posted from her hot Oklahoma garden about her experience this summer with Rosa 'Darsey Bussell,' R. 'Molineaux,' and R. 'Sophie's Rose'.  I haven't been convinced not to try them.

I just love all the things you can do with plants, so the crafty bloggers with their great nature craft ideas thrill me.  This week I ran across Twig and Toadstool which is by two unbelievably creative homeschooling friends.  For just one example, check out their Autumn Mandala made with seeds and spices - so incredibly cool!

If you're in or around Charlotte next week, the Wing Haven Gardens Fall Plant Sale starts on Friday.  Oh okay, so it starts on Wednesday for the general public.  But don't go until Friday so I can get there first.  :D  Read this plant list and weep if you aren't close enough to go yourself.  I can't wait!

So there's my week's end miscellany.  I hope the weather is gorgeous where you are, too.

P.S.  The photo is of a dogwood bowl my mother bought for me in Dillsboro, NC.  I absolutely love it.  The grain and the bark on the edges almost make me teary.  In it are the hemlock cones that always wind up in my pockets when I go for a walk.