Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Notes From My Garden, October

We are gearing up for Phase II of our garden renovation. I told you about our patio and retaining walls from the summer and now we move to the front and redo the sidewalk and foundation plantings. The photo left is how it looks now. Don't you love the color of that sugar maple? I stare at it from the window all the time!

Today was Mark-off-and-consider-the-curve-of-the-sidewalk Day. I think we came to consensus—it needs to "s" slightly. Now the biggest concern I have is all the bulbs this project will disturb. Hopefully I will be able to rescue a good portion of them. Yes, yes, I should have planned ahead and marked them last spring, but I didn't. I have dozens of new bulbs to plant, too, but they will have to wait until all of the hardscape is done. One of the projects I'm most excited about is planting a section near the sidewalk with dwarf mondo and crocuses. I adore crocuses and dwarf mondo. I think it will be so pretty come late winter!

Other items on the gardening To Do list:

7 amaryllis bulbs to plant right away in the hopes they will green up a little before Thanksgiving when I send them to new homes with my dinner guests.

A tray of plants from my native plant propagation class a few weeks ago. I have Pachysandra procumbens, mayapple, Canada ginger, Jack in the pulpit, sensitive fern, bloodroot, green and gold, and my favorite, red bay. Red bay leaves can be used in cooking and they smell wonderful! It is pretty tree that grows in the understory.

7 oakleaf hydrangeas from a sale at Pike's. 5 Peewees and 2 H. quercifolia. I was really glad to get those—3 gallon pots only $11.97 each! But now I have to plant them.

My cuttings have taken root. Well, some of them rotted. But the alternanthera and two of the coleus are thriving. Need to put those in new pots and fertilize them a bit.

A slew of seeds needs to go in. Why is it so hard to control yourself around seed packets? They are impossible to resist.

Transplanting. Lots of things need to be moved from the backyard project and lots of new ones will be uprooted soon in the front.

Now that I've told you all that, I'm kind of itching to get started! What's on your gardening list this week?


6 comments:

  1. That maple is gorgeous! I so enjoy the maples in our neighborhood. They're the best thing about fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sugar maple is gorgeous. Maples are my favorite for fall color - especially the sugar maples. Your garden renovations sound so exciting - won't it be a fun Spring?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that sugar maple too. I like the blazing colors of fall foliage.
    Sounds like you have a lot of planting to do. I got 5 Pee Wee Oakleaf Hydrangeas this summer and have been enjoying watching the foliage turn red.
    Mondo and Crocus...great idea! Really great. Love to see pictures next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for stopping by, y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing like the color of a sugar maple! I think I've heard of Red Bay before but I'll have to look that one up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful setting, its very Charlotte. It sounds like you are going to be very busy in the garden this fall.

    ReplyDelete