Monday, October 18, 2010

I Love Chrysanthemums!


Mums are bursting into bloom in my front yard!  I am so excited that they even survived the weeks of horrendous drought this summer!  We are talking lying on the ground wilted in some cases.  I can't believe how many buds they still have after that.  

There is a Ryan's yellow in my collage and a Niche's October Glow, but most of them are Lowe's cheapos, C. morifolium.  They appear to have crossed with each other in some cases.  I have little plants all over the place that I did not sow and they are colors I have not seen in my garden before.  It's so much fun to see a new one open every day or two!  

Are you growing mums?  Have you noticed that deer avoid them?  I even have a daylily they didn't find because it's surrounded by mums.  So, yay!  

Here's another Chrysanthemum I love.  Maybe you know this one but if you don't, get it and read it to your favorite child/ren.  It's adorable!  

12 comments:

  1. Mine never looks so good, I usually don't buy many, maybe they like the cooler weather you have then down here in SC , nice pictures, take care, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure do like those Mums! I like the old fashioned ones that are fragrant. Cute book, I don't know it, which is unusual...big into Kiddie Lit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gina, i would have to say they like neglect. honestly, i can't imagine why they look good if not for that!

    janet, could you tell me some fragrant variety names? mine have typical mum smell, which i kind of like. it's a little chamomile-y i think. who's your favorite kiddie lit author?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your collage of mums is spectacular! These cheerful plants are always a happy sight in the fall garden; you have a wonderful variety!

    Thanks for visiting y own blog. i appreciate your comment. I look forward to exploring your own posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just planted 'Bolero' on Saturday and hope it behaves like Ryan or Sheffield.

    ReplyDelete
  6. deb, i hope everyone clicks through to check out your garden. beautiful! thanks for stopping by.

    les, i'm glad to know about bolero. that goldy yellow is really nice. from what i read about it, i would guess it will be a lot like ryan and sheffield.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful collage. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your photos! You make mums look better than I ever see them in folks' yards up here. What a pretty collection of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you, cindy! i found another one out there just a minute ago - a red single daisy with bright yellow eye. i get so excited to find these new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many varieties, and they all are beautiful!
    love how you arranged them on the image, great work. I wish I had as many flowers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love mums - I have a few old fashioned ones that I planted this year that were gifted from a friend's yard. Those are white and yellow. I just got a large burgundy one that is in a pot on my front entry right now and will eventually go into a bed. :) And deer resistant is always a plus in my book!

    ReplyDelete