Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Autumn "Flowers" for Wildflower Wednesday


Autumn is a second spring when all the leaves are flowers. ~ Albert Camus


1.  Ash, Fraxinus sp.
2.  River birch, Betula nigra
3.  Redbud, Cercis canadensis
4.  Oakleaf hydrangea, Hydrangea quercifolia
5.  Mockernut hickory, Carya alba
6.  Hackberry, Celtis occidentalis
7.  Mulberry, Morus sp.
8.  Sweet gum, Liquidambar styraciflua
9.  Sugar maple, Acer saccharum
10.  American elm, Ulmus americana
11.  Muscadine vine, Vitis rotundifolia
12.  Winged elm, Ulmus alata
13.  Flowering Dogwood, Cornus florida

Wildflower Wednesday is going on at Clay and Limestone today and since I have almost nothing blooming besides mums, I thought I would side with Albert and post these leaves from native trees and shrubs in my garden.  It was like going on a treasure hunt hiking around out there looking for all the different types I could find .  It is so beautiful outside yet our color will not peak for another couple of weeks, so there is plenty more to look forward to.

There are at least seven different species of oaks in my yard.  I didn't know we had that many.  One species (Quercus alba, I think) has mottled red, green, brown and yellow fall color all on one leaf.  My daughter called it "tie dye," and that is not a bad description.  We even found a couple of acorns that matched!

<--Look who had waited Long Enough for my attention and found a way to get it quick!  Up he jumped onto my display.  He wagged his tail, then hopped back down and licked me.  My photo shoot was over, but I know I'm loved and he knows he is, so we're good.

Visit Clay and Limestone and check out the other wildflower posts and/or add your own.  It is fun to participate.

4 comments:

  1. I really liked the way you did this - the leaves look lovely together. I had to go into my archives today to get a WW post published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely and educational! Don't you love the name 'mockernut'! I am so glad you joined WW~I will be going into the archives before long! gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second picture in particular made me think that those arrangement of leaves would make an awesome pattern for a quilt!

    ReplyDelete