Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Backyard Owl

Look who blessed me with his presence this morning!  He caused quite a ruckus and all sorts of drama among the birds and squirrels out there, but what a treat for my family and me. The light was a little better last time we had an owl visit, but you can still see how beautiful he is.



Owl symbolism is interesting and varied. The owl has been associated with the moon, night, and femininity. The Greeks believed owls have an inner light which allows them to see in the dark. But, they have been associated with death, desolation and evil as well. In the Bible (Leviticus) they were grouped with the pelican and vulture and called unclean. Our culture generally accepts the owl as a symbol of Wisdom. I think of them as powerful and free, and they certainly command respect among all the other backyard creatures.

8 comments:

  1. What a handsome creature he is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures ! I love owls, never able to get any pictures though, thanks much, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how lucky! And what wonderful photos you were able to take!
    I have always loved owls. Once, a few years ago, I was walking and heard a noise to my left, and saw an owl flying beside me at eye level, a mere few feet away. It was one of the most magical experiences I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photos. I hear them around my neighborhood, but have never spotted one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all of you for your comments. I'm glad you liked the pictures. There really is something magical about seeing an owl. He came back this evening! I was able to snap away as he studied my husband. He blinked a few times and then seemed to fall asleep on the branch, ignoring the crazy birds and squirrels freaking out around him. It was truly amazing. And wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The owl is just beautiful. We have squirrel houses in our back yard trees, and the male and female squirrel come back every year to have their little baby owls. We can just sit out on the patio and watch all the action, even the feeding time. That is when the owls come out at dusk and fly away and come back with food for the young ones. Then we watch them learn the little owls to fly. My husband and I can't believe only 20 ft. from the house that they nest. Anyone, who gets owls in their yard is very lucky. We look forward to them coming back next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not very religious, but when I encounter a rare bird I think of it as a sort of blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daricia - Your pictures of the owl are wonderful! I rarely ever get to see an owl, let alone photograph one! Come to think of it, I don't even remember hearing one in a long time. I am glad you got to see him.

    ReplyDelete