Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Baby Anole


This little guy is only about two inches long, including his tail!  I took his picture this morning  from a deck overlooking a canal on Ocean Isle Beach.  He is in an unusual tree that I've yet to identify for sure. Its leaves are attached to long petioles which grow directly from the trunk of the tree.  The tree is about 12 feet tall and is several years old.  It is all green, including the trunk, so no wonder this lizard likes perching in it.  He soaks up the sun, poses for pictures, and occasionally eats some aphids - not a bad life at all.

UPDATE:  Thanks to Les at A Tidewater Gardener for the tree ID.  It's Firmiana simplex, Chinese Parasol Tree.  My father-in-law had told me it was "Parasol Tree" once upon a time, but I forgot!

7 comments:

  1. Google Firmiana simplex to see if that is your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, les. i do believe that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a stunning photo!
    Thanks for taking time to really see what's around you--and then share it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. rebecca, that has been the best part about learning to use my camera - seeing things i didn't before, or things i knew about in a new way. i'm glad you enjoy my efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute little guy! I love your picture.

    ReplyDelete