Friday, June 18, 2010

Spartina alterniflora along the Intracoastal Waterway

The Intracoastal Waterway at Brunswick County, N. C.



Spartina alterniflora is the plant you see to the right and in the dark foreground of the sunset picture above. S. alterniflora 

S. alterniflora was accidentally introduced around 1890, probably in an oyster shipment.  It aggressively outgrows native species, clogging waterways and reducing biodiversity.  It's strange how plants misbehave when they leave home, isn't it?


Dynamics of the Salt Marsh


UPDATE: 10/20/2010
I cannot explain what happened to the text in this post! I opened it to fix something one day and - oops - suddenly worse than ever! I do not have a copy anywhere. Maybe I should delete it, but once the LinkedIn widget picks up a post, it continues to display them even once they're deleted, you just can't access them. Plus, I like the photos. I hope you do, too. My apologies.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures - wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Daricia, I like the new look of your blog! :) I haven't been to the Intracostal Waterways, but I'd love to get there sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, saw this in Charleston at the water , and at Edisto beach in the marshes. Very helpful post ! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the sights that brings me "home" is a spartina marsh in summer, brilliant and green.

    ReplyDelete