Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tulip


I like this photo because you can see the typical three-part flower of a monocot plant up close.  Three stigmas (fused into one) and six stamens (2x3).  Why does this matter?  Because flower structure is important to accurate plant identification - and you do want to know who's taking up residence in your lawn or the woods you like to walk in, don't you? Flower structure is more consistent among members of the same species than a characteristic like color or size.  Iris, orchid, onions, daffodils, and all their close relatives have this basic structure.  Get out your magnifying glass and go take a look! 

PS If you have reason to get revenge on your teenage children, do it while their friends are over.  :D

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Daricia, I couldn't get revenge on my teen amd young adult by doing that, because they are as interested as I am! :) Oh, well! I'll have to find something else! :) I would love to come see the UNCC Botanical Gardens sometime. I have relatives just south of Charlotte, so maybe instead of visiting them, I will go see the Gardens! :) I am reading a series of garden mysteries that take place in and around Charlotte and I know just barely enough about Charlotte to make it fun to recognize the place as well as enjoying the mystery. Thank you for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth, how nice that your children are plant lovers, too! i'm not familiar with the garden mysteries you mentioned but i'm really curious! who is the author? are they current? ie, could i find them in the library or on amazon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know the tulip was so pretty on the inside. I live in South Texas so tulips are very rare here. I love all my plants and enjoy the beauty of each one of them. Flowers and plants have their own personality and memories. I have an azalea that keeps blooming year round in memory of my dad. Spring is here now so it's time to get started working in the yard again. Oh, I love that. This is a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula Jo, thank you for stopping by! we both have great states to garden in, don't we? can't say i've ever had an azalea bloom year round, but we do have a nice long bulb season here. it's almost too warm for tulips (they need colder winters than we have), but if you replace them every year or two, you can grow them. daffodils, crocuses, crocosmias, - they all love it here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your so smart Rish.
    I don't even know what you're talking about.

    :)
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha suzy! too bad our girlies are so grown up now. weren't they cute?

    ReplyDelete