Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Thinking Outside the Sandbox - Nepenthes

Bok Tower Gardens, Lake Wales, Florida

If you can't grow Nepenthes in your climate, how about a metal one?  I thought this was just the coolest thing!   I imagine children would like to put stuff down in that pitcher, don't you?  Little plastic insects, maybe?  Well, probably, dirt.  Matchbox cars.  Barbie arms.  Sweetgum balls.  The cat.  You could probably excavate the inside of that thing when your kids leave for college and tell about how old it is by the layers of junk:  Polly Pocket with magnet feet - 2002. Lego ghost - 1996.  Ninja turtle leg - 1992,   Jem and the Holograms shoes - 1989.  Not that mine would have anything that old in it.  I'm just sayin'.

5 comments:

  1. I know mine might have!! Wasn't Polly Pocket the best for car rides and airplane trips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. janet, they really were great for that. i still get misty-eyed when i walk past them in target!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even knowing nothing about the plant that inspired this, I find it very cool! (I will confess to being old enough to know nothing about Polly Pockets although my younger son was big on Power Rangers). Anyway, another great example of sculpture in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi melissa, thanks for visiting my blog! i remember power rangers well- at least one of my children had power rangers big boy underwear and went around the house shouting "after 10,000 years, i'm free!" we still tease him about it occasionally. :)

    ReplyDelete