Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Barred Owl

Barred Owl

Something swooped in front of my dog and me as we walked through the backyard just now. It was this owl! He waited on that branch until I got my camera and then he turned his face around so I could get the shot! I hear him lots of nights but hadn't seen him yet. I am not certain what type he is, but my animal-loving 12 year old guessed barred owl from a report she did in 5th grade, and this article , with some good info about owls and Charlotte, supports her guess. I always thought barred owl was "bard" owl. Why else did those smart owls in the old disney movies have british accents? Learning something new every day. :D

11 comments:

  1. How wonderful to get such a photo of this great owl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo is wonderful. I love owls and to see one during the day is a real treat. Aren't these youngsters smart?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore owls and have heard one in my neighbor's back yard for the past 5 years (only in the Summers...). I've never seen him and am hoping one day to get a good look. What a gorgeous photo you took - it's almost magical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Owls are great! I love them, just rarely see them... Beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. isn't he grand?! thanks so much for the nice comments everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always have a set of owls come to one of our nesting boxes in one of our trees 2 times a year and have their little owlets. We just sit on the patio and watch them. This is always amazing until the day that they all leave after learning the owlets how to fly. Most people never get this opportunity like a few of us do. Just Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  7. He even posed for you! What an awesome looking creature!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous photo of the Owl..lucky..!What a beauty! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beaaautiful Barred Owl. As a girl who grew up in Charlotte, now lives and works down in Florida, and serves on our local Audubon board, your blog was a great find. We have a screech owl who hangs in our front yard oak.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great shot, and how lucky to have seen it right in your own yard. We hear screech owls and great horned owls in our yard at night, but we've yet to spot one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is spectacular! I love owls! SUch a great shot! Thanks
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete