Friday, October 9, 2009

Salsa


My favorite way to use homegrown tomatoes - once I've had all the BLTs I can stand - is to make salsa. My daughter likes to eat this with a spoon. Maybe I should call it Mexican Gazpacho and let her have at it. The rest of the family eats it with Snyder's yellow corn chips. 

Salsa

6 or 7 medium tomatoes, chopped (cored, too, if you like it less juicy)
small can diced Mexican-style tomatoes
small onion, diced (I like red, but Spanish yellow is good, too.)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
juice of 1 lime (or lemon is OK)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt to taste, somewhere between 1/2 and 1 teaspoon
few grinds black pepper


Dump all of these ingredients in a bowl and stir. That's really all you have to do, but I like to puree some of it with an immersion blender so it isn't so chunky. You can eat it right away but it gets better after a few hours. Add more jalapeno if you like it really hot. Some Mexican-style tomatoes are hotter than others, and salsa has a tendency to get hotter as it sits so check it first and beware.

The photo above is from the WingHaven Spring 2009 garden tour. I loved the attention to detail in this garden! Check out the shed at the end of their driveway.  Love the pots of marigolds in the window.


4 comments:

  1. Summerae, looks like a good Salsa recipe. I give it a try but I might back off on the cilantro...just not a fan of that stuff. Glad to have found your blog from Blotanical. i'll be back.
    See ya, Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for stopping by, scott. maybe i should've said add cilantro to taste because you're right it's distinctive. i did try to keep the amount down some - i've seen recipes with more than twice that amount!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I'll have to give it a try! BTW, your blog looks cool, I'll be spending some more time here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the visit, jenny! glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete