Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pumpkin Bread


I posted an apple crisp recipe yesterday to help you use your share of all those apples in the markets right now, or maybe you're lucky enough to have your own tree in which case I want to hear your apple recipes! Today you get my family's favorite pumpkin bread recipe which is another fall favorite around here.

Originally, I got this recipe from my sister who doubles it, pours it into a bundt pan, sprinkles powdered sugar on top and serves it as cake. I usually make 3 mini loaves out of a batch or 5 from a doubled recipe.  We still call it bread because I feel slightly less guilty about letting my children devour entire mini loaves that way. Enjoy.

Pumpkin Bread

2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 t. pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 c. cooked pumpkin
1/4 c. water

Sift first four ingredients together in a small bowl. In large bowl, blend all remaining ingredients. Add flour mixture to mixture in large bowl and blend together. Pour into greased and floured loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 10 minutes. (Or bake 3 mini loaves for about 40 minutes.)


3 comments:

  1. There is something comforting about pumpkin spice...be it in pie or bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see on your sidebar that your Angel Wing Begonias are happy inside. I left the doors closed on the Winterhouse the other day and mine almost fried. There are others I can bring in and I think these are going to be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a real challenge to cut back on sugar. I've halved the amount of sugar in Oatmeal Cookies and they're just as good, especially with raisins and walnuts added. (Children don't eat these cookies, just the two old people who live here, lol.)

    Thank you for the sweet comments on my blog.

    Nell Jean -- seedscatterer

    ReplyDelete