Thursday, October 8, 2009

Fall Purples with Chartreuse


I hadn't really planned to do a flower arrangement, but while out walking the dog this morning, I noticed a purple mum growing up through a silver lavender sprig and loved the color combination.  Hmm, wouldn't those be pretty together?  I probably said it out loud.  I was talking to the dog if you thought you heard me say something.


I didn't have enough lavender to cut - put "more silver" on list for next year, maybe artemisia?  Still, that got me thinking about combinations and I realized the chartreuse pineapple sage would look striking with purple, too.  So, I went inside and got the scissors.  Maybe you could call this drive-by flower arranging.  (Thanks to InterLeafings for the notion.)  I wasn't a fan of chartreuse when it hit the scene so dramatically a few years ago - I doubt there's anyone in Charlotte who hasn't grown sweet potato vine or golden creeping jenny by now - but, I would say it's won me over.  It really adds light to a shady garden and draws the eye wherever you  put it.  I grabbed some of that, some herbs and then everything purple I could find, took them inside and gathered them into a pot my talented mother-in-law made.  I think I need more white around the edges but that was all the feverfew I had.  It's still pretty and it smells wonderful, too.

Pineapple sage - Salvia elegans
Rose geranium - Pelargonium graveolens
Ginger geranium - Pelargonium x. nervosa
(East Indian) Lemon grass - Cymbopogon flexuosus
Rosemary - Rosmarinus officinalis 'Prostratus'
Variegated basil - Osimum xcitriodorum 'Pesto Perpetuo'
Phlox - Phlox paniculata
Mexican bush sage - Salvia leucantha
Feverfew - Tanacetum parthenium
Mum - Chrysanthemum morifolium

No comments:

Post a Comment