Monday, September 21, 2009

Late Summer Garden


     I caught sight of this pretty display on the way home from taking my daughter to school this morning.  Maybe if I had kept my garden watered during these dusty dry weeks of late summer, mine could have looked a little more like this.  It reminds me, too, how much color annuals add this time of year.  I always think of annuals as July and August bloomers, but since we rarely get frost until October or even November, they bloom their heads off until then.
     In my garden, I have mums beginning to bloom even though they were very stressed by drought.  A couple of new asters are making a decent show, the Alexandria rose is blooming again, nasturtiums and zinnias are still hanging in there.  I'm noticing color in the dogwoods and the river birch and elms are losing lots of leaves.  Just a few more hours of summer - fall begins at 5:18pm today - but I'm hanging on to every minute we have left.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...your summer garden looks wonderful. Enjoyed going through your blog. Keep on posting.

    ReplyDelete